Thursday, October 11, 2012

Kiersten's Corner: Europe, Round 2

Summer 2011 abroad ended, Fall and Spring semester of Sophomore year began, Summer 2012 approached and the begging ensued. 

I probably begged my parents for about 3 months until finally I had my dad on the phone and he was asking about flights. Things were getting realistic and I loved it. My roommate Michelle is a dual citizen of Norway and the United States. She was going to be in Norway for the entire summer and I wanted to join her.

Once the round trip flight was booked to Norway, Michelle and I worked hard on an itinerary for our travels while in Europe. We planned to visit:  Austria, Switzerland and Sweden. My allowance was two and a half weeks. Ready, set, go! 

When I got there we had 3 days before we were jet setting and traveling by train. I still believe traveling by train is the cheapest and most beautiful way to travel once in Europe. Our first flight was from Oslo to Frankfurt, Germany. From Frankfurt we took the train to Geneva, Switzerland (which was a full 18 hours of travel and we were exhausted). In Geneva we stayed in a hotel on the water and planned for a day trip to Interlaken, Switzerland. In Interlaken we befriended a tour guide named Phillip who took us all around Interlaken, to some of the prettiest lakes and the most magnificent waterfall I have ever seen. We got a chance to pet some cows in a field which was something I don't know I will ever experience again unless I go to a petting zoo. 

After Switzerland we made our way to Austria where I made plans for us to meet and stay with my cousins. I had never met them before so I was extremely eager. We had been communicating through Facebook and we met them at the train station. From then on, the trip in Austria was nothing but a blast. No stress and just plain fun! My cousins are on my mom's side and they are my Grandmother's Niece's children. My Grandma is the last of the Grandma's living on my mom's side. Michelle and I attended Weisses Fest, a white party for famous people and entertainment and we shopped and toured Linz and Vienna; just to name a FEW of the highlights of Austria.

After visiting Austria we took the train to Berlin where we stayed for the night before our flight to Stockholm for the last leg of our trip! We flew out of Berlin and arrived in Stockholm. I have extended family from Sweden, no longer there, but it is still a part of my heritage so I was really excited. On the first night we stayed at the Red Boat Hotel which is literally a red boat on the water directly near the city center of Stockholm. Michelle met up with a friend who kindly welcomed us to stay at her home for the last night before we left for Oslo. Being back in Oslo never felt so comforting. Between the running between trains and the use of maps we were ready to be back to familiarity. 3 days in Oslo to just hang out and shop was not a bad way to end the fast-paced yet amazing trip. 


GOLD MEDALS: 

Scenery: Interlaken, Switzerland 
Good ice cream: Austria and Sweden =  tie 
Handsome gentlemen: Austria
Great shopping: Norway 
Best Swedish coffee bread: Besides my Aunts homemade bread, Sweden. 
Most ideal honeymoon location: Interlaken, Switzerland
Magnificent fjords: Norway

Enjoy these photos! And don't forget, I'd love to chat, post below! 


At the Olsen Cafe in Oslo, Norway. Incorrect spelling of my last name but still very cool! 

Interlaken, Switzerland.

Linz, Austria with the family and Michelle.
At the Opera House in Vienna, Austria.

Stockholm, Sweden.

No comments:

Post a Comment