Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Football Fever



Those of you who know me, know I love me some football and tailgating. And with one of the biggest games of our season just days away, can we please chat about all things tailgating?

This Saturday, Florida State will play Clemson. I LOVE this match-up.  Two good schools, both in the ACC, and both with tons of school spirit. And truth be told, I actually like Clemson fans. Last year, we drove up to South Carolina for the game and, despite the loss, we had THE BEST time. Such a neat town with friendly fans! We even tailgated with Clemson fans after the game. They were gems.

Here’s a couple pictures from our trip last year.




No matter who you are cheering for this weekend, we can all agree on what makes a good tailgate. Hosting a tailgate is so much fun if you are willingly to put forth some effort. Here are some tips I’ve learned along the way.

A tent is a must. In the south, it is seriously hot as you know what for at least half the season. You and your guests want some shade and so does that mayo-based pasta salad you made.

A generator is a definite plus. Then you can set up a t.v. to watch the other big games of the day, and set up a fan if it’s going to be a scorcher. I’m really not able to give any more advice in the generator category. In my book, this is the boy’s job for the tailgate.  I have no clue what they do to get cable out there on the t.v., but it sure is nice.

Back to food. Anything that needs to be refrigerated should not sit out for more than an hour. And during the ultra hot months, put those foods on ice while they are out. You don’t want to be responsible for food poisoning now do you?

When deciding on the menu, I try to choose one main dish. It’s normally some type of sandwich.  Ham stuffed biscuits with mustard butter always seem to be a hit, and they are easy peasy. Something like this is good when people have had a few drinks and need something substantial to eat. They also can sit out all day and be perfectly fine, no matter the temperature outside. Then I like to include a couple other food choices: fruit, sausage balls, crackers and pimento cheese, boiled peanuts, etc.  You know, all the healthy foods for a balanced diet. Hey, I listed fruit, okay? Pretty much everything I make can be made the night before the game, so on game day I just have to heat the grub and pack everything up! We use an XL plastic storage bin to carry all the food, which means less bags and easier travel.

A bar with a signature drink is always fun! I am dying to try this Apple Pie Infused Bourbon recipe from Southern Living. I think it’s a perfect game day drink. Garnet and gold stirrers are a nice finishing touch.

Table linens are often overlooked, but really shouldn’t be. They can make or break your spread. A lot of the college logo tablecloths can cost you a pretty penny. I like picking out some fabulous fabrics in garnet and gold and making my own tablecloth. I like to choose a couple different patterns and use one for a tablecloth and one for a runner. If you don’t own a sewing machine, don’t fear. Fabric tape works wonders. Flowers and garnet and gold picture frames filled with past tailgating experiences add the perfect finishing touches to your table.

Lastly, here are some tailgating supplies that can easily be forgotten but really need to be included when you are heading out for the day.

  •         Batteries for your iPod doc
  •        A couple gallons of water  (good for drinking AND rinsing off the serving platters before packing up)
  •         Lysol wipes
  •        Paper towels
  •        Garbage bags
  •        Ice
  •        Chairs
  •        Plates and utensils
  •        Koozies


Whoever you are cheering for this weekend, I hope you have a fabulous time with close friends during only THE BEST season of the year – college football season.

Oh and GO NOLES! 

2 comments:

  1. FYI I love your blog!! AND I just copied this list down. Thanks for the great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We must tailgate together before the season ends. <3

      Delete